- Approximately the same size as the state of Maryland.
- There are around 429 people per square kilometer.
- Volcano Virunga is located in north west Rwanda.
- The climate is temperate with two rainy seasons; frost and snow are possible in mountainous areas.
- Population around 10,473,282 people.
- Most densely populated country in Africa.
- Age structure of Rwanda is as follows: 0-14 42.1%; 15-64 54% and 65+ 2.4%.
- Total population life expectancy is approximately 51 years old.
- Three ethnic groups which are Hutu 84%, Tutsi 15% and Twa at 1%.
- 90% of population are agriculture workers.
- Agriculture products include coffee, tea, pyrethrum (insecticide) bananas, beans, sorghum, potatoes, and livestock.
- Exports amount to $213 million per year but imports amount to $809 million per year.
- Republican government with a president and multiparty system.
- Constitution passed by referendum May 26, 2003.
- Separated from Belgium in 1959; gained complete independence in 1962.
- Hutu extremists attempted to kill all Tutsi in 1994.
- Conflict lasted 100 days and 800,000 people were brutally murdered.
- Rwanda received little aid from other countries during this time.